Mahlatse Tolamo | Nov 16, 2021
22 On Sloane in partnership with Telkom Future Makers hosted a 48-hour Global Entrepreneurship Week Hackathon from the 12 – 14 November 2021. Over 210 applications were received and 48 teams were selected to participate in 6 different challenge sectors, which are: EdTech, Fintech, Over the Top Media, Internet Software Solutions, Gaming, Smart Homes. The Hackathon served as a platform to explore opportunities, provide solutions, and help solve pressing problems faced by large corporates and startups in this digital world. The total prize money for the Hackathon was R1.2m. One winner was selected from each business challenge, each receiving a cash prize of R200 000 to further develop their solutions.
The highlights of the weekend were the 3 parallel workshops focusing on Product Design Development, Business Development and APIs and Data The Product Design development workshop introduced the participants to the best practices and principles to use when designing their products and guide how they build solutions for users and usability. The Business Development workshop aimed at helping participants create good business models for their solutions and, the Technical Data workshop focused on the best practices when working with various technologies, open-source principles, reuse & usability, and resource utilization.
To ensure that the teams were creating solutions which are aligned to the challenges provided in each sector, 4-hour War Room Sessions where hosted on Saturday. This was led by Geekulcha, a tech organisation that connects young people to the ICT sector. In the War Rooms,mentors assisted the teams with pitch principles and problem solving experienced while developing their solutions.
On Sunday, the 14th of November, two rounds of judging took place, to identify the top12 and finally top 6 winners. The 12 teams which were selected were: Array Technologies, @rtScience, Team Basket, Chichiboya, Everlectron, Fantastic 4 , Gintec Solutions, Gwaf, Momula, Navario and WattsConnected. Winners from each sector were:
1. EdTech: Navario – An educational app for learners and students which contains text books, accessible past papers to assist learners in preparing for exams and information on Universities and Colleges for prospects students.
2. FinTech: Team Basket – An Application with an instant delivery service that connects street vendors directly to fresh produce farmers.
3. Gaming: Fantastic 4 – An SA gaming platform engineered with the South African internet and socio-economic experience at heart.
4. Internet Software Services: Gwaf – Advertising network platform, that connects brands to the right consumers.
5. Over The Top Media: @rtScience – An AudioVisual Music Streaming App
6. Smart Homes: Everlectron – Barrier as a real time smart home security system.
The Global Entrepreneurship week is our annual flagship event that is celebrated in over 200 countries globally. This week aims to support entrepreneurship and to ignite further opportunities and trends.
22 On Sloane is the largest startup campus in Africa. The campus offers disruptive startups and innovative SMEs a complete turnkey solution to scale, from the initial idea all the way to commercialisation, funding opportunities and access to markets. Its aim is to nurture the entrepreneurial mindset, ensure their sustainability, and explore development of new industries and contribute towards job creation in Africa.
Tell : 011 463 7602
Corner William Nicol Drive & Sloane Street
Johannesburg, South Africa